ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
Optimal Cytoreduction is an Independent Prognostic Factor in Ovarian Carcinosarcoma: A Turkish Gynecologic Oncology Group Study
Received Date : 23 Dec 2019
Accepted Date : 29 Mar 2020
Available Online : 24 Jun 2020
Doi: 10.37047/jos.2019-73073 - Article's Language: EN
J Oncol Sci.2020;6(2):78-86
Objective: To determine prognostic factors for women with ovarian carcinosarcoma (OCS). Material and Methods: A multicenter,
retrospective department database review was performed to identify patients with OCS at eight gynecologic oncology centers in
Turkey. Demographic, clinicopathological, and survival data were collected. Results: We identified 94 patients with OCS. The median age
was 60.0 years (range, 31-78), and the median follow-up duration was 36.0 months (range, 4-188). After primary cytoreductive surgery, 61
(64.9%) patients had ≤1 cm of residual disease (optimal debulking), whereas 33 (35.1%) had >1 cm of residual disease (suboptimal debulking).
For the entire cohort, the 5-year progression free survival (PFS) rate was 25.2%, whereas the 5-year overall survival (OS) rate was
49.4%. Women with optimal cytoreduction had a median PFS of 41.0 months (95% Confidence Interval [CI]: 19.71-62.28, Standard Error [SE]:
10.86) compared with women with suboptimal cytoreduction who had a median PFS of 15.0 months (95% CI: 8.79-21.21, SE: 3.16; p=0.011).
The 5 year OS rate for women with optimal cytoreduction was significantly higher than that of women with suboptimal debulking (57.6% vs.
33.9%; p=0.005). Positive peritoneal cytology (hazard ratio [H]: 2.35, 95% CI: 1.19-4.63; p=0.013) and suboptimal cytoreduction (H: 2.61,
95% CI: 1.32-4.99; p=0.004) were independent risk factors for decreased OS. Conclusion: Suboptimal cytoreduction seems to be an independent
prognostic factor for decreased OS in women with OCS.
Keywords: Cytoreductive surgery; ovarian carcinosarcoma; overall survival
- Harris MA, Delap LM, Sengupta PS, et al. Carcinosarcoma of the ovary. Br J Cancer. 2003;88(5):654-657. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Brown E, Stewart M, Rye T, et al. Carcinosarcoma of the ovary: 19 years of prospective data from a single center. Cancer. 2004;100 (10):2148-2153. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Signorelli M, Chiappa V, Minig L, et al. Platinum, anthracycline, and alkylating agent-based chemotherapy for ovarian carcinosarcoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2009;19(6): 1142-1146. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Wada H, Enomoto T, Fujita M, et al. Molecular evidence that most but not all carcinosarcomas of the uterus are combination tumors. Cancer Res. 1997;57(23):5379-5385.
- Jin Z, Ogata S, Tamura G, et al. Carcinosarcomas (malignant mullerian mixed tumors) of the uterus and ovary: a genetic study with special reference to histogenesis. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2003;22(4):368-373. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Pacaut C, Bourmaud A, Rivoirard R, et al. Uterine and ovary carcinosarcomas: outcome, prognosis factors, and adjuvant therapy. Am J Clin Oncol. 2015;38(3):272-277. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Matsuo K, Bond VK, Im DD, Rosenshein NB. Prediction of chemotherapy response with platinum and taxane in the advanced stage of ovarian and uterine carcinosarcoma: a clinical ımplication of ın vitro drug resistance assay. Am J Clin Oncol. 2010;33(4):358-363. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Berton-Rigaud D, Devouassoux-Shisheboran M, Ledermann JA, et al. Gynecologic Cancer InterGroup (GCIG) consensus review for uterine and ovarian carcinosarcoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2014;24(9 suppl 3):S55-60. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Shylasree TS, Bryant A, Athavale R. Chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy in combination with surgery for ovarian carcinosarcoma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(2):CD006246. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Tate Thigpen J, Blessing JA, DeGeest K, Look KY, Homesley HD; Gynecologic Oncology G. Cisplatin as initial chemotherapy in ovarian carcinosarcomas: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;93(2):336-339. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- del Carmen MG, Birrer M, Schorge JO. Carcinosarcoma of the ovary: a review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol. 2012;125(1):271-277. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Inthasorn P, Beale P, Dalrymple C, Carter J. Malignant mixed mullerian tumour of the ovary: prognostic factor and response of adjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2003;43(1):61-64. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Rauh-Hain JA, Growdon WB, Rodriguez N, et al. Carcinosarcoma of the ovary: a case-control study. Gynecol Oncol. 2011;121(3):477-481. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Rutledge TL, Gold MA, McMeekin DS, et al. Carcinosarcoma of the ovary-a case series. Gynecol Oncol. 2006;100(1):128-132. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Chun KC, Kim JJ, Kim DY, et al. Optimal debulking surgery followed by paclitaxel/platinum chemotherapy is very effective in treating ovarian carcinosarcomas: a single center experience. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2011;72(3): 208-214. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Duska LR, Garrett A, Eltabbakh GH, Oliva E, Penson R, Fuller AF. Paclitaxel and platinum chemotherapy for malignant mixed mullerian tumors of the ovary. Gynecol Oncol. 2002;85(3):459-463. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Silasi DA, Illuzzi JL, Kelly MG, et al. Carcinosarcoma of the ovary. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2008;18(1):22-29. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Jernigan AM, Fader AN, Nutter B, Rose P, Tseng JH, Escobar PF. Ovarian carcinosarcoma: effects of cytoreductive status and platinum-based chemotherapy on survival. Obstet Gynecol Int. 2013;2013:490508. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Doo DW, Erickson BK, Arend RC, Conner MG, Huh WK, Leath CA 3rd. Radical surgical cytoreduction in the treatment of ovarian carcinosarcoma. Gynecol Oncol. 2014;133(2): 234-237. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Garg G, Shah JP, Kumar S, Bryant CS, Munkarah A, Morris RT. Ovarian and uterine carcinosarcomas: a comparative analysis of prognostic variables and survival outcomes. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010;20(5):888-894. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Paulsson G, Andersson S, Sorbe B. A population-based series of ovarian carcinosarcomas with long-term follow-up. Anticancer Res. 2013;33(3):1003-1008.
- Lu CH, Chen IH, Chen YJ, et al. Primary treatment and prognostic factors of carcinosarcoma of the ovary, fallopian tube, and peritoneum: a Taiwanese Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2014;24(3):506-512. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Cicin I, Saip P, Eralp Y, et al. Ovarian carcinosarcomas: clinicopathological prognostic factors and evaluation of chemotherapy regimens containing platinum. Gynecol Oncol. 2008;108(1):136-140. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Seidman JD RP, Kurman RJ. Surface epithelial tumors of the ovary. In: Kurman RJ, ed. Blaustein's Pathology of the Female Genital Tract. 5th ed. New York: Springer Verlag; 2002:791-904.
- Shepherd JH. Revised FIGO staging for gynaecological cancer. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1989;96(8):889-892. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Yalcin I, Meydanli MM, Turan AT, et al. Carcinosarcoma of the ovary compared to ovarian high-grade serous carcinoma: impact of optimal cytoreduction and standard adjuvant treatment. Int J Clin Oncol. 2018;23(2):329-337. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Sood AK, Sorosky JI, Gelder MS, et al. Primary ovarian sarcoma: analysis of prognostic variables and the role of surgical cytoreduction. Cancer. 1998;82(9):1731-1737. [Crossref]
- Leiser AL, Chi DS, Ishill NM, Tew WP. Carcinosarcoma of the ovary treated with platinum and taxane: the memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center experience. Gynecol Oncol. 2007;105(3):657-661. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Mano MS, Rosa DD, Azambuja E, et al. Current management of ovarian carcinosarcoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2007;17(2):316-324. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Morris R, Malone JM Jr, Munkarah AR. Survival of women diagnosed with malignant, mixed mullerian tumors of the ovary (OMMMT). Gynecol Oncol. 2004;93(2): 506-512. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Rauh-Hain JA, Gonzalez R, Bregar AJ, et al. Patterns of care, predictors and outcomesof chemotherapy for ovarian carcinosarcoma: a National Cancer Database analysis. Gynecol Oncol. 2016;142(1):38-43. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Nishikawa T, Hasegawa K, Yabuno A, et al. Pazopanib as a second line treatment for uterine and ovarian carcinosarcoma: a Single Institutional Study. J Gynecol Oncol. 2017;28(1): e25. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Gynecologic Oncology Group. A Randomized Phase III Trial of Paclitaxel Plus Carboplatin Versus Ifosfamide Plus Paclitaxel in Chemotherapy-Naive Patients With Newly Diagnosed Stage I-IV, Persistent or Recurrent Carcinosarcoma (Mixed Mesodermal Tumors) of the Uterus, Fallopian Tube, Peritoneum or Ovary [internet]. Verified [cited 2019 January 15].