LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Turkish Society of Medical Oncology COVID-19 Pandemic Advisory Board Updated Recommendations for Medical Oncologists: Included Vaccination
Received Date : 01 Feb 2021
Accepted Date : 08 Feb 2021
Available Online : 18 Mar 2021
Doi: 10.37047/jos.2021-81962 - Article's Language: EN
J Oncol Sci. 2021;7(1):1-6
COVID-19, which hit the world toward the end of 2019, continues to affect all aspects of people’s lives.1 More than 100 million
people have been infected in the past year, while more than 2 million people have died because of COVID-19.2 For Turkey more than
31 million COVID-19 polimerase chain reaction (PCR) test performed, 2.6 million cases diagnosed and more than 27000 deaths seen at the
end of 2020 Turkey has started vaccination at 14th of January 2021 and more than 4 million people vaccinated during first month and it is ongoing.
3 People have slowly and steadily learned how to prevent this virus infection through lifestyle changes like social distancing and good
hygiene during the past year. Moreover, we have learned more about effective treatment approach during active infection. Importantly, new
advancement has included the development of vaccines and we know that vaccination is the most potent medical tool for protecting humans
against COVID-19. As Turkish Medical Oncologists, we are aware that cancer patients require continuous treatment; therefore, we actively
followed-up and continued treatment uninterruptedly in the past year in the light of guidelines and recommendations of the TTOD COVID-
19 Advisory Board.4-6 As the Turkish Medical Oncology Society, we would like to update our patient management and develop recommendations
for vaccinations against coronavirus, which seems to persist globally, at least for a while now.
Keywords: COVID-19; Turkish medical oncology; vaccination
- Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):497-506. Erratum in: Lancet. 2020 Jan 30;: [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- WHO. Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. Updated February 1, 2021. Avalaible from: [Link]
- Uptaded coronavirus status of Turkey Avalaible from: [Link] 30 Jan 2021.
- Ahmet Taner SÜMBÜL, Şuayip YALÇIN, Ahmet ÖZET, et al. Turkish Medical Oncology Society COVID-19 Pandemic Advisory Board Recommendations for Cancer Patients and Medical Oncologist. J Oncol Sci.2020;6(1):1-4. [Link]
- NCCN. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Resources for the Cancer Care Community. Available from: [Link] 30 Jan 2021.
- ESMO. COVID-19 Vaccination in Cancer Patients: ESMO Statements. Available from: [Link] 30 Jan 2021.