ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
Effects of Nutritional Support on the Quality of Life of Cancer Patients
Received Date : 15 Mar 2022
Accepted Date : 18 Jul 2022
Available Online : 06 Sep 2022
Doi: 10.37047/jos.2022-89699 - Article's Language: EN
J Oncol Sci. 2022;8(3):165-72
Objective: In this study, we investigated the effects of nutritional support on the quality of life of cancer patients, determined
nutritional deficiencies, eliminated it at the earliest, and established a built-in system to prolong patient survival. Material and Methods: We
included 459 patients admitted to the medical oncology outpatient clinic, diagnosed with cancer and receiving chemotherapy; 59 of 459 patients
were diagnosed with malnutrition in the study using the Nutritional Risk Screening (NRS) 2002 nutritional status scale. Appropriate enteral
nutrition support was provided to the patients, and control evaluations were made four times at intervals of 28 days. In these controls,
information on the height, weight, and the right and left middle arm circumference of the patients was recorded. Along with the European Organization
for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire-30 (EORTC QLQ-30) Quality of Life Scale, the Hospital Anxiety
and Depression Scale was also used. Results: A statistically significant difference was found in the NRS 2002 scores of the patients
regarding the adequacy of intake, protein and calorie requirement, functional status, and the symptom scale. The anxiety and depression scores
of the patients decreased in all the controls, and the most noticeable decrease occurred at the end of the third control. Conclusion: Evaluating
malnutrition and providing adequate nutritional support to cancer patients improves body composition and the quality of life by reducing
anxiety and depression.
Keywords: Malnutrition; neoplasm metastasis; nutritional assessment; nutritional support; quality of life
- Ryan AM, Power DG, Daly L, Cushen SJ, Ní Bhuachalla Ē, Prado CM. Cancer-associated malnutrition, cachexia and sarcopenia: the skeleton in the hospital closet 40 years later. Proc Nutr Soc. 2016;75(2):199-211. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Roxburgh CS, McMillan DC. Role of systemic inflammatory response in predicting survival in patients with primary operable cancer. Future Oncol. 2010;6(1):149-163. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- van Bokhorst-de van der Schueren MA. Nutritional support strategies for malnourished cancer patients. Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2005;9 Suppl 2:S74-83. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Yılmaz B, Erdem D, Kemal Y. [Nutrition support treatment in cancer]. İç Hastalıkları Dergisi. 2011;18(3):133-143. [Link]
- World Health Organization. Handbook of Basic Documents. Geneva, Palais des Nations: WHO; 1952. [Link]
- Ried LD, Tueth MJ, Handberg E, Nyanteh H. Validating a self-report measure of global subjective well-being to predict adverse clinical outcomes. Qual Life Res. 2006;15(4):675-686. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Thier SO. Forces motivating the use of health status assessment measures in clinical settings and related clinical research. Med Care. 1992;30(5 Suppl):MS15-22. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Mantzavinis GD, Trikalinos TA, Dimoliatis ID, Ioannidis JP. Self-reported health in high and very high incomes. Qual Life Res. 2006;15(3):547-558. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Carr D, Goudas L, Lawrence D, et al. Management of cancer symptoms: pain, depression, and fatigue. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ). 2002;(61):1-5. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Lim L. Depression: The Misunderstood Illness. 1st ed. Singapore: Armour Publishing Pte Ltd; 2008.
- Wasan AD, Artamonov M, Nedeljkovic SS. Delirium, depression, and anxiety in the treatment of cancer pain. Techniques in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management. 2005;9(3):139-144. [Crossref]
- Starcevic V. Anxiety Disorders in Adults A Clinical Guide. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2009.
- Öz F. [Uncertainty in illness experience]. Türk Psikiyatri Dergisi. 2001;12(1):61-68. [Link]
- Götze H, Friedrich M, Taubenheim S, Dietz A, Lordick F, Mehnert A. Depression and anxiety in long-term survivors 5 and 10 years after cancer diagnosis. Support Care Cancer. 2020;28(1):211-220. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Wilson KG, Chochinov HM, Skirko MG, et al. Depression and anxiety disorders in palliative cancer care. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2007;33(2):118-129. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Marrs JA. Stress, fears, and phobias: the impact of anxiety. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2006;10(3):319-322. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Bruera E, Billings JA, Lupu D, Ritchie CS; Academic Palliative Medicine Task Force of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. AAHPM position paper: requirements for the successful development of academic palliative care programs. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010;39(4):743-755. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Breitbart W, Shuster JL, Cox JM. Depression. In: Kuebler KK, Esper P, eds. Palliative Practices from A-Z for the Bedside Clinician. 1st ed. Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society; 2002:85-88.
- Niedzwiedz CL, Knifton L, Robb KA, Katikireddi SV, Smith DJ. Depression and anxiety among people living with and beyond cancer: a growing clinical and research priority. BMC Cancer. 2019;19(1):943. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Caruso R, Nanni MG, Riba M, et al. Depressive spectrum disorders in cancer: prevalence, risk factors and screening for depression: a critical review. Acta Oncol. 2017;56(2):146-155. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Wang YH, Li JQ, Shi JF, et al. Depression and anxiety in relation to cancer incidence and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. Mol Psychiatry. 2020;25(7):1487-1499. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Yi JC, Syrjala KL. Anxiety and depression in cancer survivors. Med Clin North Am. 2017;101(6):1099-1113. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Lan B, Jiang S, Li T, Sun X, Ma F. Depression, anxiety, and their associated factors among Chinese early breast cancer in women under 35 years of age: a cross sectional study. Curr Probl Cancer. 2020;44(5):100558. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Laviano A, Meguid MM. Nutritional issues in cancer management. Nutrition. 1996;12(5):358-371. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Ertem G. [Nutrition of cancer patients and nursing approach]. Dirim Tıp Gazetesi. 2008;(83):56-63. [Link]
- Aaldriks AA, van der Geest LG, Giltay EJ, et al. Frailty and malnutrition predictive of mortality risk in older patients with advanced colorectal cancer receiving chemotherapy. J Geriatr Oncol. 2013;4(3):218-226. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Prado CM, Cushen SJ, Orsso CE, Ryan AM. Sarcopenia and cachexia in the era of obesity: clinical and nutritional impact. Proc Nutr Soc. 2016;75(2):188-198. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Ravasco P. Nutrition in cancer patients. J Clin Med. 2019;8(8):1211. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- Bayır, Berna. Radyoterapiye başlayan kanser hastalarına verilen beslenme eğitiminin malnütrisyonu önlemeye ve azaltmaya etkisi. MS thesis. İnönü Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, 2014.
- İren, S. (2010). Torasik Radyoterapi Uygulanan Akciğer Karsinomalı Hastalarda Beslenme Desteğinin Tedavi Yan Etkileri ve Yaşam Kalitesi Üzerine Etkisi. Uzmanlık Tezi, Gazi Üniversitesi, Ankara.
- Hopancı Bıçaklı D. [The effect of malnutrition on anthropometric measurements and muscle functions in hospitalized patients with cancer treatment]. Bes Diy Der. 2020;48(2):43-51. [Link]
- Sancar Bekircan E, Ünlü A. [The detection of the relationship between depression and malnutrition in cancer patients]. J Tradit Complem Med. 2018;1(3):109-114. [Crossref]
- Cotogni P, Pedrazzoli P, De Waele E, et al. Nutritional therapy in cancer patients receiving chemoradiotherapy: should we need stronger recommendations to act for improving outcomes? J Cancer. 2019;10(18):4318-4325. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
- AKYOL, Asiye. Yaşam kalitesinin hemşirelik yönünden önemi (The importance of quality of life in terms of nursing). Ege Üniversitesi Hemşirelik Yüksekokulu Dergisi, 1993, 9.3: 71-75.
- American Cancer Society. Hemşireler İçin Kanser El Kitabı. Platin N, çeviri editörü. 2. Baskı. Ankara: Akşam Sanat Okulu Matbaası; 1998.
- Kenne Sarenmalm E, Ohlén J, Jonsson T, Gaston-Johansson F. Coping with recurrent breast cancer: predictors of distressing symptoms and health-related quality of life. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2007;34(1):24-39. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Bıkmaz Z. Lösemili Hastaların Yaşam Kalitesi ve Sosyal Destek Düzeylerinin Değerlendirilmesi. Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Trakya Üniversitesi, Edirne: 2009.